Friday, June 20, 2008

First Few Days

My first few days have been great. I was not exactly sure what I was going to be working on, but Brian has helped me tremendously with the lab techniques and background for my summer research. Initially, I thought I would be working on my own independent project that did not necessarily contribute to the lab's research as a whole. However, upon arriving I was told that it was just as important that the lab benefit from my work. I became acquainted with the other lab members the first day; they too, are extremely helpful. I have found that they are willing to help me with any of my questions regardless of how busy they may be. The lab area is nice, and I have two desks; one for lab work, the other for writing my lab book and reading.

As far as work goes:
I usually arrive at the lab between 8 and 8:30. On monday/wednesday/friday I have a pathology grad course at eight. A lot of the material is over my head, but I have picked up some of the major concepts. It is nice to hear from experienced doctors on a topic that is so critical in life today. The course relates to the work I am doing in the lab nicely. The course is two hours long: a one hour lecture- and a one hour microscope section. After the class ends, I walk to the lab. Brian gives me an overview of the work that day, and I begin. The work day ends whenever I finish my lab work for that day. The hours are flexible, and Brian cares only that I get the lab work completed.

No comments: